In order to realise its objectives, Big Data Europe will focus on two clearly defined coordination and support measures:
Coordination: Engaging with a diverse range of stakeholder groups representing particularly the Hori-zon 2020 societal challenges Health, Food & Agriculture, Energy, Transport, Climate, Social Sciences and Security; Collecting requirements for the ICT infrastructure needed by data-intensive science practition-ers tackling a wide range of societal challenges; covering all aspects of publishing and consuming seman-tically interoperable, large-scale data and knowledge assets;
Support: Designing, realizing and evaluating a Big Data Aggregator platform infrastructure that meets requirements, minimises the disruption to current workflows, and maximises the opportunities to take advantage of the latest European RTD developments, including multilingual data harvesting, data analyt-ics, and data visualisation.
BigDataEurope will implement and apply two main instruments to successfully realize these coordination and support measures:
a) Build Societal Big Data Interest Groups in the W3C interest group scheme and involving a large number of stakeholders from the Horizon 2020 societal challenges as well as technical Big Data experts;
b) Design, integrate and deploy a cloud-deployment-ready Big Data aggregator platform comprising key open-source Big Data technologies for real-time and batch processing, such as Hadoop, Cassandra and Storm.
BigDataEurope aims to provide an adaptable, easy to deploy and use solution, which will allow the interest-ed user groups and stakeholders to extend their Big Data solutions or introduce Big Data technology to their business processes, based on a concrete methodology for producing a technically sound solution and maxim-izing its out-reach to the relevant communities.
- Prof. Dr. Sören Auer (Principal Contact / Maintainer)
- Mohamed Nadjib MAMI
- Dr. Simon Scerri
- Luigi Selmi
- Prof. (Univ. Simon Bolivar) Dr. Maria-Esther Vidal
- Centre for Renewable Energy Sources and Saving
- CESSDA AS
- European Union Satellite Centre
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Fraunhofer IAIS
- Institut für Angewandte Informatik e. V.
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- National Centre for Scientific Research ‘Demokritos’
- Open PHACTS Foundation LBG
- Semantic Web Company GmbH
- TenForce BVBA
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), GEIE ERCIM